BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
BAT UK IS LOOKING FOR AN UNDERGRADUATE INTERN – NEW ACTIVES – fixed term 12 months
SENIORITY LEVEL: Internship 2023-2024
FUNCTION: Scientific Research & Development – New Actives
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
The purpose of this role is to support the development of new innovative food and beverage products related to BATs beyond nicotine portfolio and support the establishment of a new prototyping lab.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
This individual will be directly impacting the development of new beyond nicotine products.
Senior Science and Technology Manager
Number of Direct Reports
Internal –New Actives R&D, New Sciences, CPS, Compliance, Analytical Sciences
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
- Conducting key lab-based activities including prototype sample manufacture;
- Supporting the setup of a new prototyping lab;
- Creation and documentation of new operating procedures (SOPs);
- Organising sensorial tests on newly developed prototypes;
- Review of scientific data and engaging with the Analytical Sciences, Compliance & Consumer Product Safety teams;
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues in the New Actives R&D team, internal stakeholders across the business and external partners;
- Communicate progress/updates proactively to key stakeholders via presentations, reports and meetings.
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Do you have experience working in a laboratory setting?
- Are you comfortable working in a laboratory environment?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related science subject;
- Successful examples of working in a team & delivering against objectives;
- Experience of working within a laboratory setting;
- Knowledge of good laboratory practice;
- Good analytical skills, data-affinity and ability to work accurately;
- Good attention to detail with a keen problem-solving attitude;
- Ability to work self-sufficiently and under pressure maintaining flexibility;
- Good verbal and writing capabilities in English;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Excel, PowerPoint, Word;
- Strong communication skills.
- Good understanding in statistical analysis of data;
- Experience working within the food industry;
- Understanding of HACCP principles.
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!