BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
BAT UKIS LOOKING FOR A SENIOR II PRECLINICAL ASSESSMENT
SENIORITY LEVEL: Mid-Senior Level
FUNCTION: Research & Development (R&D)
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
Execute pre-clinical capabilities, inclusive of insilico, invitro and invivo models, for predominantly assessment and screening purposes, partnering with Science Discovery to bring new preclinical capabilities into BAT to ensure we can meet our emerging needs such as disease focussed mechanisms, science claims, and efficacy modelling in the areas of relax, focus and boost need states to support BATs beyond nicotine strategy
The role will be accountable for executing tools, building knowledge and data in preclinical sciences across all BAT categories.
The role will partner with the preclinical regulatory team to deliver preclinical data to satisfy BATs duty of care by substantiating consumer product safety, meeting regulatory obligations and providing scientific substantiation of health-related claims such as reduced risk versus a cigarette or wellbeing and stimulations claims in the beyond nicotine strategy.
The scientific programme must position BAT, and any associated acquisitions or investments, product portfolio as a trusted brand in safety and efficacy and must be recognised credibly externally.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
The pre-clinical screening and evaluation capabilities will be utilised in supporting BATs nicotine and tobacco and beyond tobacco product category strategy, in the first instance enabling launches and in the second instance identifying a competitive pipeline.
Role directly delivers BAT’s core purpose of A Better Tomorrow, via the science and technical framework proving the reduction in public health impact of our business
Senior Scientist Pre Clinical Assessment
Number of Direct Reports
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Manage and execute studies that will build new models to support in the substantiation of reduced risk and harm for our nicotine containing new categories products and substantiate wellness claims for our beyond nicotine strategy
- Lead in the delivery of high content screening approaches, data integration and analysis to support pre-clinical sciences agenda
- Work with product development teams to identify and accelerate compounds or mixtures of compounds that could provide competitive advantages in the area of beyond nicotine human effects
- Partner with Science Discovery to Identify ways, by building a foresights capability, in which efficacy can be screened and evaluated, utilising new methods and tools
- Build the IP and publications necessary to protect competitiveness in this space and contribute to a comms and or regulatory engagement plan
- Manage studies that will deliver novel mechanistic-based approaches to support clinical endpoints and human health effects
- Work with commercial and legal partners in scrutinising and agreeing contracts with CROs and ongoing studies to ensure they are conducted according to protocol guidelines, agreed budget and timelines
- Manage and deliver pre-clinical studies On-Time-In-Full (OTIF) and managing project budgets
- Input into engagement activities with key stakeholders and prepare and deliver presentations at internal and external meetings on behalf of BAT Scientific Research
- Identify requirements and approve procedures/processes to ensure ‘Best Practice’ is followed e.g. HTA; GLP
- Input in the development of pre-clinical assessment strategies to deliver transformational skills and cutting-edge capabilities for product assessmen
- Input in monitoring the competitor landscape and coordinate the activities of preclinical researchers, statisticians, data analysts and other research team members involved in pre-clinical studies
- Contribute to regulatory dossier preparations, internal and external communications and publications
- Complete tasks in accordance with BAT R&D business strategy and the code of business conduct.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Expertise in cell biology, molecular toxicology or pharmacology with a relevant degree in biological sciences
- Proven ability in in-vitro approaches in the pre-clinical field to bridge to clinical endpoints and human health effects
- Preferably, experience in disease pathways / mechanistic understanding / adverse outcome pathway-based approaches / human efficacy in the areas of relax focus and boost mood states
- Demonstrable ability to apply bioinformatics tools to process and assess biological data
- Demonstrable experience in efficacy assessment, disease modelling, adverse outcome pathways, toxicology and / or pharmacology with the ability to set the strategy for the team - integrating and interpreting complex data to provide clear guidance and support for product launches and the evaluation of the competitor and safety landscap
- Ability to apply knowledge in a broad range of novel in-vitro biology / toxicology methodologies to determine direction
- Expertise in basic IT (Word/ Excel/ Power Point) and the application of bioinformatics, data analysis / computational tools
- Project management of pre clinical studies
- Study design and interpretation in a relevant field, preferably neuropharmacology
- Proven skills at scientific communication to technical and non technical, internal and external audiences
- Relevant degree in biological sciences.
- Experience in FDA submissions and engagement
- PhD in biological Sciences.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!